Get the facts on video, then get visual
Before you pitch your team about adding video to your marketing plan, know the facts:
- 85% of Companies Find Success with Video Marketing. – ReelSEO
51.9% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI. – Adobe
- Using the word “video” in an email subject line boosts open rates by 19%, click-through rates by 65% and reduces unsubscribes by 26%. – Syndacast
So, now for the good stuff – getting started. How does your business integrate video into your social media & content strategy? Surely we admire the brands, bloggers, social media managers & marketers who make it look easy. The truth is, it takes time and consistency. To help you out, we’ve created an essential guide to adding ANY video into your content strategy.
How to add video into your content marketing strategy
“Wait. Don’t you guys do this? Create videos & content strategy?” We sure do. We believe you need to know the down low. Why? To ensure you are aware of the key components that go into creating a quality visual experience. (You can thank us later)
Video is vital to brand storytelling on every level
A highly consumable & demanding part of your strategy, videos are no longer a one-time process. For example, at our agency we manage cinematic campaigns around a stunning social video but we also work on daily Snapchat strategies or Insta-stories. Below, you will see why following our step-by-step process for strategically integrating video into your content marketing strategy is an on-going digital effort.
Step 1: Go for the Goals
To begin with, define your overarching goals by asking the tough questions: Where are your current content marketing goals headed? Are you happy with your daily social content? Does your audience understand your brand story?
Our Director of Strategy, Amy Hadrys recommends a solid brainstorm before launching or starting any new digital push:
“When deciding to add video, our clients comes to us to strategically capture their vision. But before we even get started, our main priority is to have a solid brainstorm and review current marketing capabilities and bandwidth to assure that larger video goals can be accomplished within the client’s time frame.”
Remember, your marketing never stops – so it is vital to add content at the appropriate times – video included. Always review your current, past & potential content because these insights will prove valuable when digging deeper into the facts, like social analytics and sales. What is currently happening on your various digital channels & how can video add value?
Step 2: Know Your Social Audience
If you are planning to create daily content and messaging for your beloved audience you must ask yourself first – do you really know your audience? This well help you decide the types of visual content you should create right from the get go.
Here’s an example: Perhaps your clothing line, set to attract young 20-somethings is actually reaching slightly older demographic on certain posts AND better yet, these posts are part of your sales funnel. Great! Review your content performance based on your audiences engagement & interactions to give your team a better idea of the types of video you seek to create.
Do not add video into your content strategy without asking yourself this question: Who is your digital audience audience?
Step 3: Research What Competitors & Influencers Love
Does your “competition” run social video laps over yours? Hone in on your audience & do your research accordingly. If you are strapped for time, utilize content experts to run an audit of your brand. This will provide insight into your channels and others. Remember, always stay in tune with like-minded social accounts for inspiration.
Step 4: Define Channels of Distribution
Decide on the best social channels to include in your visual content strategy. Which social media channels meet your audiences needs?Which ones crave video? More so, which ones produce traffic back to your site?
Step 5: Determine Your Budget
Investing in brand storytelling thru video is as impactful as it can be profitable for your business. If you are considering live storytelling like Instagram stories or daily updates on Snapchat, factor in props and travel budget for outings to accompany your footage. Will you need assistance with all of this? Remember visual storytellers are capable of working aside teams to capture visual content that makes the most sense.
Step 6: Select Your Video Type
After aligning your goals, audience, budget & so forth it’s time for the best part – choosing the video(s) that best reflect your content marketing needs. Here are a few awesome video types you might consider:
- Personalized Video Advertisements – Watch the campaign from Lexus, ‘Beyond Utility 1000 to 1″ (below) to get the full picture. Essentially targeting anyone and everyone through personalized video & customized targeting.
- Native Videos – Like Air New Zealand, simply prompt your audience to act without the sales pitch.
- Cinematic Stories – Create a short story that pulls on the heartstrings of your audience. Ideal for commercials, brand-centric storytelling, large events & milestones
- Animation & .gifs – Quick, easy to dream-up and ideal for statistics & quick facts.
- Testimonial video – What’s the inverse of a client testimonial? Let Dollar Shave Club show you. They turn the tables on themselves by answering the question, “What the FAQ?”. By using their employees to answer their audiences questions naturally trumps any level of doubt.
- Live Broadcasting – Two words: Chewbacca Mom. After this mom’s Facebook Live video went mega viral, we are all believes in live broadcasting (and a feel good laugh). This type of content is not just on Facebook, but useful on Instagram Stories, Periscope & more. Chewbacca Mom not included.
- Raw, un-cut footage – Let DJ Khaled show you how it’s done, with his utterly perfect Snapchat compilation. Be real on camera and even save some in your content vault for a few Snapchat Milestones.
Step 7: Action!
Your big video venture is ready to be set in motion. From pre-production creation to your big launch day, your social channels are going to be even more engaging with the amazing videos you will create. Would you like to talk to partner with our expert storytellers on a project? Click here to get in touch.